Some instructors may require the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for taking quizzes in eLearning. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If an eLearning quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking eLearning Quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of eLearning. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature.
System Requirements (Students)
- Windows: 10, 8, 7, Vista
- Mac: OS X 10.7 or higher
- For Mac users: Safari must function properly on the computer
- iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only). Details.
- Adobe Flash Player
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone
- A broadband internet connection
Installing LockDown Browser
Follow this link for instructions for downloading and installing LockDown Browser
Taking a Quiz
To take an online test:
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Log into eLearning (https://elearning.uwf.edu/) select your course and navigate to the quiz.
- Click the “Launch LockDown Browser” button to open LockDown Browser and start the quiz.
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked
Using a Webcam (Respondus Monitor)
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”)
- Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone.
- Windows users need to have Adobe Flash Player installed to Internet Explorer, even if a different browser is normally used.
- Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari. A broadband connection is also required.
- If a quiz requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow steps 1-5 in the “Taking A Quiz” section.
At this point, the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and Remember.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor.
- Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The quiz will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the quiz is submitted for grading.
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- If a webcam is required, make sure it is plugged in or enabled before starting LockDown Browser
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
- If a webcam is required, you will be recorded during the test to ensure you're using only permitted resources
When there are warnings of not being able to detect the webcam or there are problems configuring the Adobe Flash Player settings, we recommend students follow these additional steps:
1. Close down all applications that might use a video camera or webcam.
2. Start Internet Explorer or Firefox (if using Windows) or Safari (If using Mac). Do not do this test using the Google Chrome browser.
3. Go to: http://www.respondus.com/webcamtest/
Run the external webcam check including adjusting the settings for the Adobe Flash Player. Select Allow & Remember. You can change the camera during the webcam check via the "change my webcam" link. Be sure to actually select the physical internal or external camera. Never select anything labeled "splitter" or "filter." After this is done, click on Close.
4. Students may need to go to Windows Control Panel (Windows) or System Preferences (Mac)->Flash Player->Camera and Mic tab->"Camera and Microphone settings by site..." and add "smc-service-cloud.respondus2.com" as an "Allowed" site.
5. On the same system, start LockDown Browser and run the webcam check from the "Webcam" icon in the LockDown Browser toolbar. Do not start the exam at this time.
If everything succeeded in step 3, you should see your image.
6. Start the Respondus Monitor-required exam
If problems persist, one possible workaround is to use an external USB webcam.
If you experience a problem in your exam, you may use the "Help Center" button from the toolbar in LockDown Browser:
From the Help Center, you will be able to run a webcam check, a system check, or access the Respondus LockDown Browser Knowledge Base.
- Select "Run Webcam Check" to ensure the webcam is working properly. (This step can be skipped if the you aren't required to record during an exam with a webcam.)
- Return to the main screen in Help Center and select the option "Run System Check".
- When the System Check is complete, a set of images will appear across the top of the screen. A green mark indicates that the item meets the system requirements; a red X may indicate a problem for that item.
- Scroll downward to see detailed results of the network and system check, including bandwidth and latency tests, OS information, a list of applications that are running, etc.
Select "Email results" to send the System Check results to the ITS Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The ITS Help Desk can review the results that were sent by email. You will receive a copy of the email, as well.
- If the issue cannot be resolved by the ITS Help Desk, it may be escalated to Respondus Support.