Respondus Monitor® is a companion product for LockDown Browser (LDB) that enables institutions to protect the integrity of non-proctored, online exams.
Students use their own computer and a webcam to record assessment sessions, all without leaving eLearning.
Rapid rollout for instructors: https://web.respondus.com/rapid-rollout-instructors/
Weekly training webinars: https://web.respondus.com/webinars/
Technical support: https://support.respondus.com/
Others Resources: (these are also available right within the LockDown Browser Dashboard in your LMS)
Lockdown Browser - https://web.respondus.com/he/lockdownbrowser/resources/
Respondus Monitor - https://web.respondus.com/he/monitor/resources/
Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature.
24/7 Live Chat – Remember that students can access built-in troubleshooting and live chat from within Respondus Monitor if they encounter a technical problem. You can find more resources for students, including how to access Live Chat, here: https://go.respondus.com/e/710093/student-help-/g92dz/62200969?h=2ZaRwCCjkYeIVT9-YTs99KAIEytjPp0nfeyLFvq08Tg
- How do students initiate a live chat with Respondus Support?
Most technical issues are encountered during the pre-exam “Startup Sequence” of Respondus Monitor – which is where the webcam/microphone check occurs. There is already a powerful “It’s not working” feature in Respondus Monitor that helps students find the right solution. But if students are unable to solve the issue by the last step, a “Chat now” prompt appears. The live chat functionality can also be accessed through the “Help Center” in Respondus Monitor.
- Which Respondus products have support available via live chat?
At the current time, 24/7 live chat support is available to students using Respondus Monitor, which is the online proctoring service available for LockDown Browser.
- Suggestions for faculty using Respondus Monitor*
- Wording for Syllabus when using the LDB & Monitor for online exams - Follow this link to sample wording that can be used in your course to explain that students must use LockDown Browser and a webcam (Respondus Monitor) for their online tests.
- Create a Practice Exam – Have students take a practice exam with Respondus Monitor to ensure their computer, webcam and Internet are working properly. Allow students more than one attempt on the quiz so they can try the practice exam whenever their device or networking environment changes.
- Preparing a quiz or exam - Follow this link to instructions on setting up exams to require students to use LDB and Monitor.
*Credit for creation of this document:
Andi Nelson and Karen Valaitis
Department of Health Sciences and Administration
Usha Kundu, MD College of Health
Watch this three minute video:
How It Works
- Students start LockDown Browser, log into the LMS and complete a brief startup sequence prior to the exam
- The student and the surrounding environment are recorded during the entire exam
- Instructors can quickly review details of the assessment, and even watch the recorded video
Why It Works
- Cheating is deterred with a low-hassle, easy-to-use system
- Students appreciate a level playing field and the ability to take exams anytime
- Administrators ensure student identity and exam integrity in distance learning environments
Created for Universities
- Integrates seamlessly with the LMS
- No limitations to the length or number of exams
- Students don't need to schedule exam sessions in advance
- Provides a cost-effective solution for individual courses or the entire institution
Additional Resources & Support
- Respondus Support Knowledge Base - FAQ's
- Reviewing webcam videos - Follow this link for instructions on viewing the videos once exams are completed.
- Quick-Start Guides for Students and Instructors
- more information and instructions for using LDB and Monitor.
- Training webinars from Respondus - http://www.respondus.com/webinars/
- Using the Help Center for Lockdown Browser & Respondus Monitor
- Here are some useful details about the Help Center for LockDown Browser