FileZilla is a free software package supported by the ITS Help Desk. FileZilla software is available free of charge from the FileZilla website and works with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Configure the Connection
- Start the Program (Start -> Programs -> FileZilla FTP Client -> FileZilla).
- From the File menu, click Site Manager.
- Click the New Site button. A new site appears in the Select Entry box and is ready for editing. Rename the site UWF FTP.
- Enter the following information:
- Host: Type ftp.students.uwf.edu (students) or ftp.facstaff.uwf.edu(employees)
- Port: Type 990
- Protocol: Select FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Select Require implicit FTP over TLS
- Logon Type: Select Normal
- User: Enter your ArgoNet username
- Password: Enter your ArgoNet password
- Comments: Type My student FTP directory (students) or My facstaff FTP directory (employees)
- If working from a home computer connected to a router you may need to complete this additional step: Click the Transfer Settings tab. Under Transfer Mode, select Passive.
- Click OK.
- From the Edit menu (or under FileZilla in OS X), select Settings. On the left hand side, select File Lists underInterface. Then change Comparison threshold (in minutes) to 0.
FileZilla is now installed and configured!
- Open FileZilla (Start -> Programs -> FileZilla FTP -> FileZilla).
- From the File menu, select Site Manager and make sure UWF FTP is highlighted on the left side. Then, click Connect.
- An Accept Certificate window may appear. If so, select Always trust this certificate in future sessions, and click OK.
- Your folders appear on the right-hand side.
Faculty/Staff: Folders preceded by your ArgoNet username (e.g. jdoe Home) will take you directly to your folder, while the other folders will open a list of all FacStaff and departmental ArgoNet accounts.
You can upload or download a file by double-clicking on it. The file will be placed in the open folder on the other side. You can also drag the files from one side and drop them on the other side. To transfer folders and/or multiple files, select them and right-click the selection. Then you can click on Upload/Download in the pop-up menu.