(red star) Undergraduate, degree-seeking students attempting their first baccalaureate degree may improve their grade point average by repeating a course and applying the repeated course and its corresponding grade in all the student's applicable Grade Point Average calculations. Undergraduate degree-seeking students are allowed three opportunities for grade forgiveness during their undergraduate program. Students are encouraged to discuss the Grade Forgiveness option with their Academic Advisor.

All grades will remain on the student's official transcript. The original course grade will be annotated to indicate that the course has subsequently been repeated, and the repeat course grade will be annotated on the transcript containing explanations the course was repeated. The original grade will not be computed in the GPA or course hours included in hours earned except in a case in which the student withdraws from the repeated course or takes an incomplete grade.

As of the Spring 2017 semester, the Office of the Registrar automatically applies grade forgiveness to all eligible course repeats at the end of each semester, including the Summer semester, after all grades are posted. Grade forgiveness will not be processed after a student graduates.

Opt-out - If a student does not want to utilize one of their three Grade Forgiveness Options (as of the Fall 2015 term) in the current semester, they may opt-out by petitioning to have the repeated course not be granted grade forgiveness. Opt-out petitions must be submitted online to the Office of the Registrar by completing the Grade Forgiveness Exception Form  two weeks prior to the end of the semester in which the course is repeated. See the Academic Calendar for deadline dates!

Rescind - Also, a student may decide that an automatically applied grade forgiveness option is something they did not want utilized for a particular course. If that is the case a student should consider all effects of rescinding an applied grade forgiveness as it relates to their GPA, course flow, anticipated graduation semester, etc. To request that an automatically applied grade forgiveness be rescinded the student should complete the online Grade Forgiveness Exception Form which will be submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar at registrar@uwf.edu for processing.

(green star) Helpful Links:


green arrow rightTo submit an Opt-out or Rescind request:

Step 1 - Go to your MyUWF Student Portal and enter "Grade Forgiveness Exception form" in the search bar.


Step 2 - Click "Enter contact information." After you type your Academic Advisor's contact information, click Save - Click "Continue to form."

image of dynamic form - enter advisor contact info

image of dynamic form - confirming contact info

Step 3 - This will take you to the Dynamic Form which will pre-fill with your student information.

Select request type, enter explanation and course information, acknowledge advisor review - Click Next

image of dynamic form - page 1 - enter course information

Step 4 - Type your name in the boxes - Click Sign Electronically

image of Electronic Signature in dynamic form

Your form will then be routed to your advisor for approval and processed after grades have been posted for that term.

image of image of submission of request page - dynamic form