A grade book contains your grading system, grade calculations, grade scheme, grade items, and view and display options. Grade items in your grade book represent all the work that you want to evaluate users on in a course. You can evaluate specific tasks such as assignments, tests, and participation, and you can also create grade items and associate them with course objects such as Dropbox and Quizzes.
You must set up a grade book before you can use the Grades tool. As you plan your grade book, consider:
- What grade items you plan to evaluate.
- Which grading system is most appropriate for your course.
- How you will allocate points or weights across grade items.
- Which grade items you want to associate with course objects.
- If you want to include a milestone grade at least once during the course.
- How you want to calculate final grades.
NOTE Making changes to a grade book's settings and calculation options after you begin tracking users' grades can significantly affect existing data.
Grade Book Topics - Text-based Instructions
Some content and images in this section are used with permission of The University of Arizona Office of Instruction and Assessment.
Access Grades from the Assessments drop-down menu.
Click image to enlarge