Information and instructions for undergraduates on how to change your major, declare a double major or dual degree, add/change a minor, declare an AA or certificate, etc. Graduate students should contact their Academic Advisor or the Graduate School.

Undergraduate students who wish to change their major and have been accepted to UWF for an upcoming semester should complete the Application Major Change Form located on the Admissions Forms webpage. After the first week of a student's admit semester, the change of major (CoM) guidelines for continuing undergraduate students should be followed. The CoM guidelines are outlined below.

  • Students receiving Financial Aid of any type should check with the Office of Financial Aid regarding change of program implications on their student loan eligibility.
  • Changing your major can also potentially affect your Excess Hours surcharge.
  • Student-athletes and military affiliated students must have approval from Athletics or MVRC in addition to the specific college Academic Advisor. For qualifying students, changes will not be processed without an Athletics or MVRC signature.


For additional information pertaining to declaring/changing a major, minor, certificate, etc., please refer to the Majors & Minors portion of the Office of the Registrar website.

How do I change my major or minor?

  1. Undergraduate students seeking to change their major must schedule an appointment with their new major advisor. Only the new Program Academic Advisor can submit this electronic form on your behalf. Please see your Advisor for assistance. You should always discuss these changes with your current Advisor so they may offer additional important information that may affect your decision.
    1. This includes changing the major, declaring a dual degree or double major, deleting a major (you cannot delete your major if you only have one major), and declaring/deleting a minor or certificate.
  2. Graduate students should seek assistance through the Graduate School.


Certificates can be added or deleted via the same process as changing majors or minors (above). Please schedule an appointment with the new certificate advisor.

Associate of Arts (AA Degrees)

The University of West Florida will automatically award A.A. degrees to bachelor’s degree-seeking students who have completed all requirements for an Associate of Arts degree. To qualify, a UWF student must meet the requirements outlined in the University Catalog.

Students may choose to opt out of being automatically awarded their Associate of Arts Degree. Click here for instructions on accessing this form.

If you have not automatically received an A.A. degree and believe you are eligible, please send an email to graduation@uwf.edu.

Please see the Registrar website for details and Frequently Asked Questions

For additional information:

Undergraduate: Undergraduate Catalog- Change of Major

Graduate: Graduate Catalog- Change of Program


CoM forms submitted prior to the end of drop/add week for Part of Term 1 will be effective that semester. For forms received after the end of add/drop week, the major/minor change will not be effective until the following semester and will include the corresponding catalog term of the effective semester.

For students enrolling at UWF in the Fall 2016 semester and beyond, only one major change will be allowed each term. Students may change their major multiple times, but with the consequences of possibly extending their academic career and accruing Excess Credit Hour Surcharges. Students are encouraged to seek academic advisement from the department offering the new major to determine the length of the new curriculum prior to changing a major, e.g. what existing credits will or will not count towards the new program, are there additional requirements such as external exams (Education degrees), etc.

Please email registrar@uwf.edu with any questions.

On this page