updated March 16, 2020
- The Center for Academic Success will be moving to entirely remote operations beginning Monday, March 16th through May 5th, 2020
- DO NOT CANCEL YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISING, ACCESSIBILITY, or COACHING APPOINTMENT - you will receive information about how to connect virtually with your academic advisor, academic coach, or accessibility staff member
- Services and hours may be in flux during this time. We will keep this page up to date with changes as soon as they are available.
- Tutoring services will use WebEx for virtual tutoring sessions. Services will begin on Tuesday, March 17th see schedule below. The link to access your tutoring session will be provided in your confirmation email when you make the appointment.
- Please see each office's information below for details about specific services and contact information.
- Please check back often to this page for updates - we will be adding services and providing additional information as they become operational.
- Connect with this office via email to FYAC@UWF.EDU or call 850-474-3170 please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours.
- All Appointments will be done virtually. You will want to meet with your First Year Advisor to plan for Summer or Fall 2020 and stay on track for your degree.
- Schedule an appointment as normal through Navigate
- Your advisor will send you a Google Hangouts calendar invitation link to your UWF email account to use during your appointment time.
- You will need a computer or tablet with a microphone, or a phone to connect with your academic advisor.
- It's preferred that you have access to MyUWF during the appointment.
- An advising appointment must be documented before we can release your PIN so it’s important that you do not cancel entirely.
- Please note that all appointments are made using Central Daylight Time (CDT) so plan accordingly if you are in a different timezone. If you are 10+ minutes late, you will be considered a no-show and your appointment will be canceled. If you have any questions or need assistance, please call First Year Advising at 850-474-3170
Connect with us:
- Connect with this office via email to SAR@UWF.EDU or call 850-474-2387 please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours.
- Have a quick question? Chat us using Google Hangouts at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will have a staff member available 8 am -12 pm and 1 pm -5 pm Monday - Friday.
- Faculty and Students can report accessibility issues with online course content by emailing email@example.com or calling 850-474-2387
- For students with any concerns with the new format of online courses, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-474-2387 to speak with a staff member. Please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours. Students may be eligible for immediate temporary accommodations depending on their situation.
- If you have a scheduled registration appointment or accessibility coaching meeting, all appointments will be held virtually by using the Google Hangouts information within their Google Calendar appointment. You will need a computer or tablet with a microphone, or a phone to connect with staff.
- Testing Services will be closed during this time. Students with accommodated testing needs should connect with their faculty for further assistance. If you have questions, please reach out to email@example.com to work through any issues or concerns.
Alternative Format Materials and Sign Language Interpreting:
- If you were receiving ASL interpretation, you have been transitioned to CART (remote captioning) for any video lectures in your courses.
- If you are having any issues with textbook access or alternative formats of textbooks please connect with firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
- If you were receiving notetaking support from a SAR Student Staff Notetaker, these services are temporarily suspended due to all classes moving to online formats. **If you feel that notetaking support is still needed for the online format of your course, please contact email@example.com or 850-474-2387 to discuss alternative notetaking support. Please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours.
- Notetaking Express (NTE): Notetaking Express (NTE) is a virtual notetaking service that provides notes from audio files. Students upload their recordings to the NTE website using their preferred electronic device and a professional notetaker provides typed notes within 24 hours. Students receive a notification when their notes are ready for view.
- Sonocent: Sonocent allows you to visualize your audio and highlight important parts. Within this software, you can also add in slides from the lecture your professor has provided, diagrams, and notes for the same project.
- Glean: With Glean, you never need to worry about missing the important stuff when taking notes: Record audio. Stay focused in the moment. Take lightning fast notes. Zero in on the important bits later. To use Glean you’ll need a laptop and Google Chrome. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Assistive Technology Resources:
- FREE Screenreading software available: Kurzweil 3000 is available to all UWF students with a limit of 30 seats (30 people can be online at the same time). This can be accessed by logging into MyUWF and searching Kurzweil 3000 set-up.
Due to the quick online learning situation, Kurzweil Education would like you to know we are offering free access to our Google Chrome Read the Web Extension at no cost through mid-June. This tool offers a choice of multiple voices, speed of reading, Dictionary and an excellent translation tool. This tool is ideal for reading standard web sites including Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle and other LMS tools. This tool may only be used on the Google Chrome browser and not allowed for the other Kurzweil tools. The access is private and allows no way to extract who is using this tool. The access will be taken down by mid-June 2020.
Here are the Read The Web Instructions
Username: readtheweb and Password: 12345
- Connect with this office via email to email@example.com or call 850-473-7340 please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours.
- All paid testing has been canceled through May 5, 2020 at this time. We have notified the testing vendors who will contact testers directly with next steps. If you have questions about paid testing (GRE, MAT, ASE, PAN, CLEP, etc.) please contact the testing vendor directly. We must follow their guidance for all vendor based testing.
- While our physical office is closed, your instructor may provide other testing options such as Canvas/Lockdown Browser or Lockdown Browser Monitor from home. All scheduled appointments in the office have been canceled and students have been emailed.
- Students with accommodated testing needs should connect with their faculty for further assistance. If you have questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to work through any issues or concerns.
- The College Board has canceled the ACT testing date scheduled to be held at UWF on April 4th and the SAT scheduled for May 2nd - please contact College Board for further assistance.
- The LSAT scheduled to be held at UWF on April 25th has been canceled.
- Connect with this office via email to email@example.com or call 850-474-3176 please note the phones will not be live monitored but messages will be returned regularly during normal business hours.
- Virtual Tutoring will begin on Tuesday, March 17th. Please see our tutoring schedule for updates about subject-based tutoring services that are available by subject and day/time. Students MUST sign up for a session in Navigate to be provided the link to join the session.
- For online resources related to strategies and resources for how to be successful in an online course, general study skills, time management, subject based skills, etc. students may enroll in the online Academic Success Course through Canvas
- Current academic coaching students: Your coach will be emailing you with information about how to have a virtual meeting through Google Hangouts. Please check your email and respond to your coach.
- Interested in academic coaching? if you are interested in this service, please opt into the Academic Success canvas course and look for the discussion board to join the conversation and receive updates on this service as we get it ready to launch.
Message from the Executive Director
The Center for Academic Success will remain under remote operations through May 5th, 2020. We understand that this quick transition to online learning will create some concerns that the Center for Academic Success will work to assist you with. Although we are not available physically, our staff are ready to support you through this transition. We have been busy transitioning our services to best meet the needs of students during this time to keep you and our staff healthy and safe. Most of our services will be available virtually as indicated above. If you have any questions or concerns during this time, please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jennifer L. McCaul, Ph.D. - Executive Director, Center for Academic Success
Pages on this Topic