The university recognizes that as a community many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a “preferred first name” can and should be used wherever possible in the course of university business and education. In order to provide a safe, inclusive, and nondiscriminatory community, UWF faculty and staff should use a student's preferred first name whenever possible.

Therefore, it is the intent of the university that any student, active or retired faculty or staff member, or alumni may choose to identify themselves within the university’s information systems with a preferred first name in addition to the person's’ legal name. The university will use its best efforts to ensure the preferred first name is used whenever possible. The individual is free to determine the preferred first name he or she wants to be known by in the university’s information systems. However, inappropriate use of the preferred first name process (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation or misrepresentation) may be cause for denying the request.

The individual may prefer to be called a name that is different than the legal name. Also, it may be the desire to have this name replace a legal name in the MyUWF Directory profile and in other university records and documents. The university allows this by setting a preferred first name.  The preferred first name can be set via MyUWF access, and it will then appear in the individual's directory profile and other select records.  Some records, such as paychecks, that require use of a legal name, may not accept a preferred first name. However, whenever possible, a preferred first name will be used.

decorative arrowClick HERE for Frequently Asked Questions!


UWF reserves the right to remove or deny the Preferred First Name Request if used inappropriately. This includes, but is not limited to, names using inappropriate language or names submitted to avoid a legal obligation or to create misrepresentation.

Step 1

Log into MyUWF and search for the Contact and Privacy Information app 

image of contact and privacy information app in MyUWF

Step 2

Click on Privacy tab

image of privacy tab in the contact and privacy information app

Step 3

Type your preferred first name in the box - Click Save

image displaying box to type preferred first name and click save in contact and privacy information app


 No. This is there as a service for people who wish to be known by something other than their primary/legal name. If you regularly use your primary/legal name then please do not enter a preferred first name.

 Yes, but the university reserves the right to remove a preferred first name if it is used inappropriately (such as for misrepresentation, joking, exaggeration, tasteless, improper, offensive use, etc...)

Preferred first names will only be used in cases where the legal name is not absolutely necessary. Examples of where your primary/legal name is necessary include, but are not limited to, financial aid documents, student accounts, payroll, and official transcripts.

If you set your preferred first name at the point of application to UWF and have not yet created a UWF account (email and ID) then you will need to contact the Office of Admissions (Undergraduate applications) or Graduate Admissions (Graduate applications) for assistance in updating your preferred first name.

If you are a current student or have already activated your UWF ID and User name then preferred first names are set using MyUWF access, only those individuals with access to MyUWF can set preferred first names.

You cannot hide your name. Your legal name will continue to be displayed, even if you have set a preferred first name.

No, the official transcript is an official document that is attached to your legal name and is the primary form utilized by the university to show proof of enrollment, grades, and graduation.

No, the diploma is an official document that is attached to your legal name and is a primary form utilized by the university to show proof of graduation.

For students: Complete the Student Data Change form found on MyUWF.  

For employees: Contact Human Resources at hr@uwf.edu or 850-474-2694



It will be for most campus activities. However, there are some situations that will require you to present identification with your legal name (Testing Center exams, proctored exams, etc.) In these cases, you will need to provide alternate identification showing your legal name. 

Any preferred first names that may be deemed by a reasonable person to be an attempt at misrepresentation, fraud, or interpreted as offensive will be removed by a member of the Registrar's Office staff. 

Please email registrar@uwf.edu with any questions.