The institutional time zone set in Canvas is Central Standard Time (CST).
- Students who live in time zones other than Central Standard Time (CST) should adjust time-zone settings within Canvas
- Students who are in Canvas courses where faculty use Zoom’s in-Canvas integration should adjust time-zone settings within Canvas’ Zoom integration
Canvas is able to accommodate different time zones for students. For example, if an assignment is due on Jan 15, 11:59 pm CST (Pensacola time), it will show the adjusted due date for the time zones or international cities as follows:
|PST||MST||CST (Pensacola Time)||EST||London||Moscow|
|Jan 15, 9:59 pm||Jan 15 10:59 pm||Jan 15, 11:59 pm (This is the default setting to match the UWF Campus Time Zone)||Jan 16, 12:59 am||Jan 16, 5:59 am||Jan 16, 9:59 am|
Please note that all time zones east of Central Standard Time will move to the following day, depending on the time it is due. Make sure you are very aware of the time difference. The Canvas Module list only shows the date assignments are due. You will need to open each assignment in a module to see the actual time it is due (4:30PM, 11:59PM) on that date.
Canvas Account Settings (for the Web)
If you are living outside the Eastern Standard Time zone, you can set your time zone for all of Canvas to match your location if that makes it easier for you to keep track of when assignments are due.
To set your Personal Time Zone:
- Select the Account icon in the grey navigation menu.
- Select the Settings link.
- Select the Edit Settings button, adjust your time zone, and Update Settings (Save).
- Canvas dates will now be localized to display in your local time zone.
If you set a time zone in your user settings, you can always view the course time zone by hovering over any date and time in your course. The text will show both the local time and course time.
The Canvas Mobile App
The Canvas mobile app ignores the time zone setting from Canvas for the Web (CST). On the mobile app, the time zone is based on the time zone settings for the mobile device. The mobile app shows the local time of when assignments are due.